Thankfully all went well with the recovery of the Software RAID devices and I was able to finish up the first wiki entry that I wrote while I was going through the process. At some point I hope to repair another server and will use that experience to expand on the existing entry or add a separate page.
The only regret I have about the current wiki is that I didn’t set it up sooner. I have far too many paper notes that are sitting in binders on the shelf instead of up somewhere where bots can crawl them and offer them up as search results. Had I used the wiki approach long ago they might have helped someone out.
Oh well, better late than never.
I worked a good bit yesterday and earlier today writing up my experiences working with GNU/Linux Software RAID and I feel I’m starting to get a grasp of how it all goes together.
The last array is rebuilding now with another 9+ hours to go, so tomorrow sometime I hope to finish the first draft of that page and get the server back in operation.
Note: There is a newer version of this document here.
For all steps listed, I’m working with an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS virtual machine. It consists of a single disk (/dev/sda) that I didn’t size properly when I originally created the VM.
Later I added a second disk (/dev/sdb, independent of snapshots) to hold audio files from ripping cds prior to transferring to them to a player. I did not add this disk to the existing logical volume.
Now we’re going add a third disk (/dev/sdc) to the VM and place it in the same volume group as the original disk to help alleviate the space problem as shown here:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
7.3G 6.5G 487M 94% /
none 245M 264K 244M 1% /dev
none 249M 1.1M 248M 1% /dev/shm
none 249M 92K 249M 1% /var/run
none 249M 0 249M 0% /var/lock
none 249M 0 249M 0% /lib/init/rw
/dev/sda1 236M 54M 170M 24% /boot
/dev/sdb1 30G 497M 30G 2% /media/bucket
.host:/ 79G 68G 12G 86% /mnt/hgfs
You’d think something like this would be incredibly easy, maybe even be in an options tab or possibly prefs.js in the user’s profile.
Eh, sort of.
The setting is in localstore.rdf within the user’s profile. This value is supposed to be saved automatically when closing out of the browser, as this page mentions.
In my case I want a lab of users to all receive the same “maximize window” setting. Thankfully, the user profile being used is thin and I don’t have to worry about them having a personalized localstore.rdf file.
Here is the file I’ll use:
Purpose: Set the Firefox window to maximized. This file would be copied
over on every login, thereby preventing the window from coming up
sized smaller. Users are able to size it themselves during their
browsing session however.
Here is the relevant value:
Hope somebody finds that useful. 🙂