Just found out the wife registered the cats’ birthdays so she would get free ice cream coupons.
Running into cryptic errors really sucks, and this was certainly no exception. We had a Windows share provided to us that we wanted to mount to an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server for general storage.
//192.168.1.5/test-smb1 /mnt/it_hosted cifs credentials=/root/it_hosted_windows_share_mount.conf,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm2 0 0
/root/it_hosted_windows_share_mount.conf file contained:
username=storageuser password=SuperSecret domain=example
I’ve substituted values of course. One thing to note is that if
example.com were the real domain, I’ve made sure to use
example as the value.
Then came the
mount error (13): Permission denied error. I tried from a Windows box and was able to connect fine, so I knew that the server/share wasn’t the problem.
I then decided to call
mount directly as shown here. After getting that working, I rechecked the syntax used in
/etc/fstab and then finally looked at
What do you know, the old & much despised EOL issue. After changing the DOS EOL to UNIX everything worked. I can’t count the number of times I’ve been bitten by that.
The work around is shorter than this blog entry title:
Clear the Amazon AppStore cache/data.
Perhaps you just like to be in control of things, or perhaps it’s not really that but the lack of notification that there was an update and now something isn’t working right. Well, was it an update or something else?
That’s where I’m coming from. I received a very brief installation complete/success sort of fade in/out notification while using Mozilla Firefox for Android today and I’m still not 100% sure which app was responsible. But anyway, I digress.
Digging around I found the following descriptions of the options via the old UI that was tweaked back around version 10.
The options dialog has an “Automatically Update: Add-ons” checkbox.
The add-ons manager has an “Update Add-ons Automatically” check menu.
This gives a good breakdown:
That these are different settings and how they are different is unclear. The first one controls automatic checking and should be titled something like “Auto check for add-on updates.” The second, controls auto installation after detection and should be titled something like “Auto install detected updates.” And ideally, they should appear next to each other.
This appears to control whether the user is notified
So, if I set
extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault to false,
extensions.update.notifyUser to true and leave
extensions.update.enabled set to the default of true I expect to be notified when extensions are ready to be updated.
For the Android version, I came across
extensions.autoupdate.enabled, and Google searches aren’t telling me much. Perhaps I’ll check to see if there is a SVN or Git repo and check the code for clues.
This Bugzilla page explains it well enough:
extensions.update.enabled set to true which I hope is what caused Firefox to look for extension updates, app.update.autodownload set to disabled (through the official menu option) which I expect will stop automatic updates of the app itself and
extensions.autoupdate.enabled set to false.
- Difference between extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault and extensions.update.enabled
- Remove checkbox for add-on auto-checking for updates (extensions.update.enabled) from the options window, and make enabling extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault in the add-ons manager also enable extensions.update.enabled.
- extensions.autoupdate.enabled search at mxr.mozilla.org
I’ve never been known for being the most creative, so this new project I’m kicking about suffers from the same lack of creativity when it comes to the naming: Email Updates.
It’s a Bash script that has evolved over time from a simple
apt-get dist-upgrade -s | mail -s "Updates for `date`" root
into a workable script that remembers what updates it previously told you about (and doesn’t tell you again).
So far I have it working with Ubuntu and Red Hat distros (RHEL5.x, CentOS 5.x and CentOS 6.x), but I’ll add other distros as I find the time or get requests for them. The project page can be found here. Feedback is very welcome.