Running into cryptic errors really sucks, and this was certainly no exception. We had a Windows share provided to us that we wanted to mount to an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server for general storage.
//192.168.1.5/test-smb1 /mnt/it_hosted cifs credentials=/root/it_hosted_windows_share_mount.conf,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm2 0 0
/root/it_hosted_windows_share_mount.conf file contained:
username=storageuser password=SuperSecret domain=example
I’ve substituted values of course. One thing to note is that if
example.com were the real domain, I’ve made sure to use
example as the value.
Then came the
mount error (13): Permission denied error. I tried from a Windows box and was able to connect fine, so I knew that the server/share wasn’t the problem.
I then decided to call
mount directly as shown here. After getting that working, I rechecked the syntax used in
/etc/fstab and then finally looked at
What do you know, the old & much despised EOL issue. After changing the DOS EOL to UNIX everything worked. I can’t count the number of times I’ve been bitten by that.