Finished first Linux Software RAID wiki entry

Thankfully all went well with the recovery of the Software RAID devices and I was able to finish up the first wiki entry that I wrote while I was going through the process. At some point I hope to repair another server and will use that experience to expand on the existing entry or add a separate page.

The only regret I have about the current wiki is that I didn’t set it up sooner. I have far too many paper notes that are sitting in binders on the shelf instead of up somewhere where bots can crawl them and offer them up as search results. Had I used the wiki approach long ago they might have helped someone out.

Oh well, better late than never.

More wiki content for Francis Glassborow’s FGW Library

I spent much of today working on the directions for building the latest FGW Library source code using current MinGW or the version bundled with Quincy 2005 (Quincy 2002 was used in the book, but is no longer available). In addition, I also worked through the source code downloads from the author’s website and the publisher’s book page and merged them all, starting with the original CD source files and ending with the zip files available from the publisher’s site. The results are an unofficial public source code repository for The FGW Library, aka “Playpen” and a new project page here.

My goal is to merge the source code changes provided by Jaime Moreno and other community patches around the web. It will be a low priority task for me, so I’d be more than happy to turn it over to someone else that has a strong interest.

404 entries: a subtle reminder to fix your links!

Often they’re just from bots banging on your box trying to find some software that can be exploited, but sometimes they’re also from content getting moved over the years and redirects never worked into the plan. Wikis have the right idea when you move something and they offer to leave a redirect behind so visitors can still find the content they’re looking for.

I used to give more weight to 404 entries, and I figure it’s probably time I did so again. With the recent move to MediaWiki and my finding it easy to work with, there is little reason aside from time that I can’t resurrect old site content and place it there.

I’ll start with an older guide I had to converting a default floppy-disk-based FREESCO 0.2.7 installation to a bootable CD. If I were to have one project that I’ve ever worked on that really brought me joy, it would be that one. The feeling as a newbie of overcoming the, “It can’t be done”, mentality was amazing.

Anyway, the new section for the FREESCO articles I posted years ago can be found here: http://wiki.whyaskwhy.org/GNU_Linux/FREESCO

Migrating wiki content

I’ve used DokuWiki for several years now and appreciated the ease of installation and use, the speed, but I never truly felt comfortable with the wiki requiring write access to its directory structure to store its versioning information. That and moving/deleting the pages seemed required command-line access. While I was mostly ok doing that myself, I couldn’t expect contributors to be comfortable doing so.

It served its purpose though, and for that I’m grateful. Of course to be fair, I’m also moving away from it because I use MediaWiki at work and am wanting to standardize on that.

So, I’ve been migrating content from the old wiki to the new one and it’s been going pretty well so far. The new wiki isn’t running as fast as I’d like, but I blame the current server configuration for that. While I work on moving the last handful of pages, I’m redirecting old content to the new system so any existing search engine traffic will find their way to the right pages.

For someone that previously had no experience installing/configuring MediaWiki it really wasn’t that bad. I’m also new to using Git, so installing MediaWiki using Git was a good excuse to expose myself to it again. While I still prefer Subversion for all of my work, I need to get used to it for other projects I plan to interact with.

Note to self:

I started the installation on July 4th and wrapped up basic configuration on the 7th while migrating content is still an ongoing process. I hope to wrap up by this Saturday.