mount error (13): Permission denied

Running into cryptic errors really sucks, and this was certainly no exception. We had a Windows share provided to us that we wanted to mount to an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server for general storage.

After reading the Ubuntu MountWindowsSharesPermanently wiki page and consulting the smbmount man page I came up with this new (initial) /etc/fstab entry:

// /mnt/it_hosted cifs credentials=/root/it_hosted_windows_share_mount.conf,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm2 0 0

The /root/it_hosted_windows_share_mount.conf file contained:


I’ve substituted values of course. One thing to note is that if were the real domain, I’ve made sure to use example as the value.

Then came the mount error (13): Permission denied error. I tried from a Windows box and was able to connect fine, so I knew that the server/share wasn’t the problem.

I then decided to call mount directly as shown here. After getting that working, I rechecked the syntax used in /etc/fstab and then finally looked at /root/it_hosted_windows_share_mount.conf again.

What do you know, the old & much despised EOL issue. After changing the DOS EOL to UNIX everything worked. I can’t count the number of times I’ve been bitten by that.

Re-enabling the prompt to install extension updates

Perhaps you just like to be in control of things, or perhaps it’s not really that but the lack of notification that there was an update and now something isn’t working right. Well, was it an update or something else?

That’s where I’m coming from. I received a very brief installation complete/success sort of fade in/out notification while using Mozilla Firefox for Android today and I’m still not 100% sure which app was responsible. But anyway, I digress.

Digging around I found the following descriptions of the options via the old UI that was tweaked back around version 10.


The options dialog has an “Automatically Update: Add-ons” checkbox.


The add-ons manager has an “Update Add-ons Automatically” check menu.

This gives a good breakdown:

That these are different settings and how they are different is unclear. The first one controls automatic checking and should be titled something like “Auto check for add-on updates.” The second, controls auto installation after detection and should be titled something like “Auto install detected updates.” And ideally, they should appear next to each other.


This appears to control whether the user is notified

So, if I set extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault to false, extensions.update.notifyUser to true and leave extensions.update.enabled set to the default of true I expect to be notified when extensions are ready to be updated.

For the Android version, I came across extensions.autoupdate.enabled, and Google searches aren’t telling me much. Perhaps I’ll check to see if there is a SVN or Git repo and check the code for clues.


This Bugzilla page explains it well enough:

Background update of add-ons/addons: Make success notification/toast ‘Installation complete’ more informative or remove it

Edit #2:

I have extensions.update.enabled set to true which I hope is what caused Firefox to look for extension updates, app.update.autodownload set to disabled (through the official menu option) which I expect will stop automatic updates of the app itself and extensions.autoupdate.enabled set to false.